At one time or another we've all been there. We've all visited a congregation somewhere, sometime that was as warm and inviting as a dentist's chair! Imagine what it must be like for seekers when they enter such surroundings! The Church should be a place where everyone is warmly greeted and made to feel welcome. With that in mind, the September edition of the Heavenly Top Ten is:
“Top Ten Indications
That You May Be Part of
An Unfriendly Church”
- The last time there were visitors in your worship service, the pastor requested that the "unbelieving pagans" identify themselves!
- The greeters frisk everyone before they're allowed to sit!
- The fact that everyone wears black and has a tattoo of a cross on their foreheads could be intimidating to some!
- The pastor's bodyguards have been a bit surly lately.
- The "Free Snake Handling Lessons To Every Vistor" campaign was a bust!
- When the pastor announced during Sunday School that it was time for a sword sharpening drill, the sound of grinding steel was deafening!
- The thought has crossed your mind that the meters in the church parking lot may give the wrong impression!
- The whip the choir leader uses could cause some to wonder! But, boy can they sing!--Especially the high notes!
- The sermon title last week was, "Sinners In the Hands Of An Angry Congregation."
- And the number one indication that you may be part of an unfriendly church is:
- You're not sure where the practice of using a straight jacket, a sealed tank, and chains during baptisms started, but . . .
The Heavenly Top Ten is intended to be a fun look at
issues of faith and fellowship. It should not be considered a serious treatment
any of the topics presented.